Aging may be a natural process, but the sun’s damaging effects can speed it up. As people age, their skin gets thinner and loses fat tissue and elasticity. As a result, the veins in the hand become more prominent, and the skin may produce more melanin to protect against harmful UV light. This creates sunspots that appear as large, flat, brown spots on the skin. Along with sun exposure, hands can develop liver spots and age prematurely due to:
- Hereditary conditions
- Tanning beds and lamps
- Birth control pills
- Liver disease
- Hormonal imbalance
While age spots are harmless, some people find them unsightly and choose to seek cosmetic treatment to remove them. At North Shore Med Spa, we offer hand rejuvenation treatments that reduce the appearance of sunspots, wrinkles, and prominent veins to restore the youthful appearance of hands.
Hand Rejuvenation Benefits
When patients receive the proper hand rejuvenation treatment at North Shore Med Spa, they get more than cosmetic benefits. These treatments reduce the appearance of sunspots, but they can also restore your skin’s elasticity and volume, creating healthier skin that looks younger and reducing bruising by returning some protection to your hands. Hand rejuvenation can restore confidence and self-esteem patients may have lost due to wrinkles or age spots on their hands.
Hand Rejuvenation Treatments
North Shore Med Spa works with patients to understand the best treatment option based on the individual’s needs. Each treatment works to restore the skin on the hands and the patient’s confidence.
Treatments for Sunspots
- Sunspots respond to a variety of treatments. However, not all treatments work well for every patient. When patients come to North Shore Med Spa, we determine the best one, which may include:
- Medications: Many patients can successfully treat sunspots with over-the-counter (OTC) Medications. These treatments can cause issues like skin irritation, allergic reactions, and skin bleaching, so patients may also require other treatments.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels use a chemical derived from plants to loosen and remove dead skin. When used over time, this treatment creates softer, more elastic skin with fewer sunspots and involves minimal discomfort. Patients often need several treatments before they see results and should always wear sunscreen afterward.
- Microdermabrasion: This treatment exfoliates the surface layers of the skin using tiny crystals. Patients will need maintenance treatments, but microdermabrasion significantly improves the look of sunspots instantly.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL): IPL treats sunspots more effectively than any other treatment by sending light through the skin on the hands. Melanocytes then absorb that light, get destroyed, and fall away with dead skin cells. IPL requires several treatments, but the procedure is non-invasive, low cost, and painless.
Laser Hand Rejuvenation: Laser hand rejuvenation is a more intense treatment that uses an ablative laser modality to treat wrinkles, sunspots, and age-related discoloration in a single session. Patients typically need a week to recover after the procedure.
Treatments for Hand Veins
Hand vein treatment works differently than sunspot treatment, and North Shore Med Spa professionals will determine the best approach using methods such as:
- Sclerotherapy: This safe, lasting therapy injects a sclerosing solution into prominent hand veins. These non-essential veins will then collapse and absorb into the body, which reroutes blood flow to healthy veins. Patients require several 30-minute sessions for the procedure to work effectively.
Injectable fillers: Injectable fillers plump the skin, reducing wrinkles and creating a more youthful look to the hands. They encourage the skin to produce new collagen in a process called collagenesis. Patients will see natural wrinkle correction that can last a year or longer.
Not all treatments are safe for all patients. Before receiving any hand rejuvenation treatment, patients should talk with their doctor if they:
- Respond abnormally to sunlight
- Have photosensitivity due to certain Medications
- Have used Accutane within the last year
- Are pregnant
- Have tanned skin
- Have active infections
- Have a history of skin cancer
- Have a history of wounds healing abnormally
- Have a pacemaker or metallic device implant
North Shore Med Spa can improve the look of aging hands with safe and proven treatments. Request a consultation using the form above or call 516-441-5110 to ask about our hand rejuvenation treatments.