Laser hair removal is an easy, convenient, and non-invasive way to remove unwanted hair. Here’s more about how this rejuvenation treatment works for those considering various hair removal options.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a cosmetic procedure that uses light-based technology to target and destroy unwanted hair follicles. That prevents hair in those areas from growing back.
Laser hair removal can reduce hairs on nearly any part of the body, including the face, neck, arms, underarms, legs, and bikini area. Some may need multiple treatment sessions to achieve optimal results, depending on the area and volume of hair they want to remove. Treatments get spaced four to six weeks apart to target hair follicles at different growing stages.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal uses a low-energy laser beam to target areas of unwanted hair. This laser beam is pointed directly at hair follicles and locates hairs that are dark in color. Then, it directs a beam of highly concentrated light at the hair shaft inside each hair follicle and generates the amount of heat needed to permanently damage the follicle. That reduces or prevents its ability to grow new hair.
According to Nelson, the laser hair removal procedure is most effective at reducing dark, coarse hairs as the wavelength of light used in this treatment is attracted to darker pigments in hair follicles. Nelson adds that this treatment may not produce desirable results in people who want white, blond, or red hair removed.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal offers many benefits for those who want to permanently reduce or remove unwanted hair.
Laser hair removal benefits include:
- It’s less costly than other hair removal methods. Laser hair removal can save people money in the long run, as it eliminates the lifetime need to purchase supplies like razor blades, depilatory creams, and wax treatments.
- It can save time. Laser hair removal eliminates the daily need to remove unwanted hairs with shaving, tweezing, waxing, etc.
- Treatment sessions are usually brief. According to the Universal Spa Trading Company, most laser hair removal treatments take about 20 minutes when performed on the underarms and bikini areas.
- It can prevent ingrown hairs. Shaving and tweezing increase the risk for ingrown hairs, but laser hair removal does not produce this side effect.
- It permanently reduces unwanted hair growth over time. Laser hair removal can reduce unwanted hairs by up to 80% within six months after a series of treatment sessions.
When Is the Best Time for Laser Hair Removal?
Winter is the best time of year to undergo laser hair removal, given how skin is often less exposed to the sun and therefore less likely to be tanned. According to Guzman, laser hair treatment may cause skin discoloration when used on tanned skin. Another benefit to getting laser hair treatment in winter is being able to reduce unwanted hairs before the spring and summer seasons.
Laser hair removal is non-invasive and relatively painless but has risks like any other medical procedure. Risks associated with laser hair removal include burns, blisters, welts, scabs, scarring, and pigmentation changes. Laser hair removal technicians can often address any concerns people may have about this treatment during their initial consultation.
North Shore Med Spa offers a wide range of laser treatments that can improve the appearance of skin and hands, and remove unwanted hairs. Men and women who want to know more about this treatment can call 516-441-5110 or request a consultation.